|Bury Unitarian Church is
situated is what in designated ‘The Cultural Quarter’ of the town.
The former graveyard which stands alongside
the church has been grassed over and landscaped and now provides a beautiful
space in the busy town centre.
|Bury has won the
Britain in Bloom, Large Town, category award for the last eleven years and
the planting in the church gardens is part of the flower displays around
|Opposite the church stands the
Art Gallery, Museum and Library building which was opened in 1901. It was
built to house the art collection of local Unitarian, Thomas Wrigley.
The collection of over two hundred paintings
was donated to the town by his three children.
|Thomas Wrigley was also instrumental in
bringing the railway to Bury.
The East Lancashire Railway Company, opened in 1846,
connected Bury through Manchester to the national network.
Today the East Lancashire Heritage Railway is still
situated at the original site just behind the church. On many weekends
during the year it is possible to take a trip, on a steam train, up the
valley to Rawtenstall.
|Beyond the Art Gallery and
Library building is the Textile Hall which was where the cotton mill owners
did business in the past and is today used by the council.
|Next door stands St Marie’s
Catholic Church which has an unusual lantern tower and is, along with the
Parish Church of St Mary, part of a triangle of churches including the
Unitarian church which define the area.
the church gardens, stands the Lancashire Fusiliers Museum which was opened
in 2009. This new building is very sympathetic to its surroundings and is
situated to the rear of a small garden at the centre of which is a war
memorial designed by
Sir Edward Lutyens.
|Silver Street, which runs along
the front of the church, boasts terraces of Georgian houses which now serve
as offices for solicitors and accountants.
Bank Street which runs to the side of the
church gardens has as its reference the former Barclays Bank Building, late
Victorian in date, on the corner.
|Another Georgian terrace runs
the length of Bank Street.
The buildings from the Georgian
terraces to the 2009 Fusiliers Museum blend well together, the area feels
spacious with, at its heart, places to sit and enjoy a green oasis of lawns and
FAITH WORTH THINKING ABOUT
click here for a free download